A well behaved and well trained dog will, ideally:
- Respond to commands on and off leash.
- Behave in a safe way in company of other dogs and unfamiliar people.
- Avoid inappropriate elimination or other destructive behavior inside the house.
- Walk politely on a leash.
- Learn to avoid any other behavior with which its family is uncomfortable (for example begging at the table or lying on the couch).
To that end we recommend:
- Crate training your puppy, but NEVER leave the dog in the crate for extensive periods of time or use the crate as punishment.
- Taking your puppy or new dog to puppy classes for socialization and training tips.
- Pursuing refresher classes as your dog grows, especially if you have concerns or problems.
- Finding an activity that you and your dog can do together on a regular basis.