For young to middle aged dogs we recommend:
- Annual fecal exams to make sure your dog does not have intestinal parasites.
- Annual testing for heartworm. This is a blood test and includes a test as well for lyme, anaplasmosis and ehrlichia canis, diseases which are spread by ticks.
For middle aged to older dogs we recommend:
- Annual fecal exams
- Annual testing for heartworm
- Annual urinalysis to rule out urinary tract infections, diabetes, renal disease and other problems.
- Annual blood work to screen the major organ functions and blood cells for any underlying problems.
As a part of your annual exam, your dog will be given a de-wormer which will insure that it is not infected with roundworms. Roundworms are not only dangerous to our dogs by can infect the children in our community.